Friday, August 20, 2010

A quick, healthy vegetarian salad

Summer spinach and tofu salad

I know, I know.. I promised a weekly meatless recipe and have been slacking, apologies!! Mid-terms in Nursing school this week & 2 lovely babies.. Enough said right? I'll do my best to make up for the last 2 weeks. ;)
I am a big fan of salads and no, not JUST because I am a vegetarian, but because of all the different options there are for making salads! The "main" ingredient in this particular delectable salad is Extra firm tofu.

Here are the rest:
-1 large bag of spinach
-1 bag of ice berg, or any other type of your favorite salad mix, head of lettuce, etc.
-Fat free raspberry vinaigerette dressing or any other of your favorite dressings
(optional fruits & veggies)
-1 container of organic brocolli sprouts
-2 avocadoes, sliced up
-1 large tomatoe
-1 or 2 cucumbers (depending on how much you enjoy them! I use 2)
-Fresh cut up strawberries

Directions:

-Put your salad mix & diced vegetables into a large salad bowl
-Open the package of extra firm tofu and dice into little cubes
-Pre-heat a pan with EVOO on medium heat, not too high or you will burn the tofu :)
-Place in your cubed tofu and continue to stir so it doesn't stick
-I also use "Bragg's" It's similar to soy sauce loaded with amino acids (available at any health food store) about 3 Tbsp
-I like to cook the tofu until it is firm and a little brown on the edges
-Place as much as you would like a top your salad
-Use salad dressing as desired

ENJOY!

Please give me your feed back If you decide to try it out & let me know how it turned out!


Such a beautiful salad! And did I mention, D-LISH?!

My 2 and a half year old loves this salad.

Hope you enjoy!

-Marci

8 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from Bloggy Moms, I am a nurse too! Stop by anytime! www.ourtipsandtales.com
    Following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie! That's awesome! Thanks for following my blog, I'm going to come stop by yours too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute blog! Following from bloggy moms!
    http://babyeichhorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! New follower from Bloggy Moms! Hope you can stop by and return the follow :)

    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marci! Following you now from blog frog. I have always been curious about vegetarians. I'm not a huge meat fan but do eat it in our house. But very interested to read your blog to pick up more tips. Your salad looks great! I am planning on attempting homemade salsa from my garden tomorrow! Nice to meet you!!! ~Kimberly

    www.stinkerpinker.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wacki04, now following! :)

    Kimberly, Welcome!! I would love to be able to give you any tips I can for sure! I will be doing more and more recipes now that I have a minute to breath (mid-terms are over..Nursing school..Yikes!) And thank you, it's a yummy one. I LOVE salsa...and guacamole...mmmmmm. Hope it turns out well! I'm jealous! Thanks for stopping by, and have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to find your blog, thanks for finding me on blogfrog, I am your newest follower. I am so intrigued by vegetarian families, and am going to love seeing your recipes posted. I just love the picture of your little guy chomping down his salad! Beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linsey! You are so welcome :) Thanks for following back! I'm going to do at least one or two a week. And thank you very much! Have a great night!
    -Marci

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all of your comments! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random.Org for Giveaways

Blog content copyright

Please do not take any posts, pictures etc. from my blog without permission. If you are interested in borrowing a picture or some information from a post, please contact me first. I probably won't mind giving you permission! I put a lot of time and effort into my blog, so please don't take anything without asking. I am the sole owner of this blog, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thank you very much!