Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What does your VEGETARIAN Family eat?

Okay, as requested! A ton of people have asked that I put up some information and Ideas on what our family eats. I am the only one of the Family who isn't Vegan, although I aspire to be fully dedicated one day! I eat very little dairy products limited to my Coffee creamer, Weight watchers yogurt and Baby Bell cheese. Along with my Fav: CUPCAKES!(Mmmmmmmm)When I have the chance anyways. Micah, Levin and Brighton all eat a Vegan diet. If you're unfamiliar with what this diet consists of, It means one who does not consume ANY animal products including milk, eggs, gelatin, casseinate, and meat and a few more. May people ask me why wouldn't you give your children meat? First off, Levin has a bad dairy allergy and cannot have any dairy products at all, (so along with meat replacement options, I will list some other things he eats often). Second, It's just something we don't believe in. We love animals and want to do our part to save as many as possible along with many other reasons I won't get into right now :) We give them vitamins daily along with a very healthy diet that consists of calcium, Vitamin D, protein, iron, fruits, vegetables and so on. They are both growing wonderfully! As many of you know, Brighton is actually in the 95th percentile for his age which is great! We have both decided though, that when they are old enough to make their own decisions and choose to eat meat outside of the home that is okay and will be their choice. It's nothing were going to force upon them.

Our number one reason for choosing to be Vegan/Vegetarian is because we have a great love for animals and the earth. Along with this, we recycle everything and anything possible.

I plan on doing a day when I will post up a "Meatless Recipe." I'll put one at the end of the post to get started.

Here goes!

Wonderful Sloppy Joe and Taco mix. They taste similar but the taco mix Is just a little more spicy. For yummy sloppy joe's, all you need are buns, an onion and tomatoe. Just slice up the onion and sautee in olive oil for about 7 minutes.

For tacos, all you need is hard or soft tacos, optional: Salsa, guacamole, sour cream, lettuce and cheese.

They only take about 7 minutes or so to cook! So quick, yummy and easy.
*Vegan


Our number one FAVORITE item! Boca chik'n patties are the best! You can grill them stove top, or microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Put on a bun with some ketchup and mustard and voila! I make them often for Levee and Brighton. When I have one I'll usually have some baked Lays and a kosher spear pickle.
*Vegan

Great replacement for hamburger, and much more healthy. I use it in Spaghetti and Shepherd's pie. (Which I'll be putting the recipe at the end of the post for!)
*Vegetarian
After many trial and errors on trying different hot dog replacements, we finally found the ONE! Smart Dog's come in the regular size too. Great to put in Mac and cheese or just cut up and served for lunch with a fruit cup and snack for Levee.
*Vegan

Aw, Tofu... So many people are afraid of this wonderful food. Just cook it right, and it's so good! It is very bland alone, but when added to your dinner can be a great source of protein. It tastes like whatever it is your cooking. I use it A LOT in stirfry and my Rustic potatoe recipe.
*Vegan

Recently came across this wonderful item. It is a replacement for "pulled pork" I love it! You can use it on a bun or bread for a sandwich or in a burrito. To be honest, for some weird reason it kind of tastes like spagettios.. So add a little BBQ sauce and it helps make it taste even better.
*Vegan


Replaces lunch meat! It is wonderful. Levin loves it plain, I'll just shred a few pieces for him.

It comes in many other flavors too. This and Italian Deli are my recommendations!
*Vegan
Best. Ever. So good! And they only have to bake for 14 minutes. Serve with some rice If you want or stir fry and you have a complete meal.
*Vegan

Wonderful mushroom burger! Morning star and Boca brands are the best for any patty-type meat replacement.
*Vegetarian

Great on pizza's! Of course, replacing pepperoni.
*Vegan
These ones can take some getting used to, but are very healthy. They taste a little like mock meatloaf to me, but still very good. I recommend grilling them stove top, not microwaving.
*Vegan


These frozen dinners came out recently and our Family loves them! Quick and easy lunch.
*Vegan
Ummmmmm, yeah, RIBS! I know, I know. I was very skeptical at first but after having them once, they have definitely become a favorite around here. Bake wrapped in foil in the oven for about 35 minutes. I serve them with Rice a roni wild rice or vegetarian baked beans. (Bush's brand)


Another great burger. This flavor is a little spicy, great with salsa and cheese on top!
*Vegetarian
Want some great tasting, quick lasagne!? Here ya go! I highly recommend this one as well. Great to pack in your lunch.
*Vegetarian

Gotta love corn dogs! These are wonderful baked served with Sweet potatoe fries.
*Vegetarian

These are the chicken nuggets we serve Levin, he recommends them ;) I'm not the biggest fan, but he sure loves them. *Baked.
*Vegan


These buffalo wings are SO good! I love dipping them in BBQ sauce.
*Vegan
Our Thanksgiving dinner! ;) Served with: Mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy.
*Vegan


Silk soy Yogurt, another favorite recommended by Levin. Comes in peach, blueberry, key lime pie, strawberry and strawberry banana.
*Vegan

When It comes to Vegan cheese, It's hard to find a brand that is actually some what good... Tofutti brand is awesome though! Again, trial and error but micah and Lev love it.
*Vegan
Best fries ever! And a bit more healthy than normal fries. Bake for about 25 minutes.


Levin's Mac and Chreese. I was SO ecstatic when I found this for him. I felt bad that he was going to miss out on mac and cheese, then I came upon this one day. Dairy free! It is almost $4.00 a box though.. But he sure loves it. I cut up a hot dog and put that in with it. I found this at Harmon's grocery store in Utah.
*Vegan
Lard-free refried beans and spanish rice. I serve this with the Taco mix I listed above. Both are only $1.00 and makes a lot. We usually can get 2 meals out of it.
*Vegan

I LOVE this rice! And it's only $1.00 a box..It does take a while to cook though, about 25 minutes total. Other than that, it's great!
*Vegan

Great side dish! Found at Harmon's.
*Vegan

Gotta love Edamamae! Loaded with protein, perfect snack. Put salt on top after you boil them until they all float to the top.

We buy Organic fruit when possible. The only fruit I have noticed a taste in is, bananas! Organic bananas are SO much better tasting and last longer.


Some of the boys favorite treats.
*Vegan
These are so cute! They come in a bunch of different flavors too. Available at, Whole Foods, Good Earth, Harmon's.
*Vegan

Levin's new favorite "bar" he loves them. About $4.00 a box though..
*Vegan


He loves these as well. They come in a couple of different flavors as well. About $4.00 a box.
*Vegan
We love Kettle corn around here! 94% fat free? I'll take it! I do put a bit too much salt on it though.
*Vegan

My personal favorite treats:




The milk we use in our Home. I personally don't like Soy milk and decided to try this one day.. Loved it! Tastes similar to cows fat-free skim milk.
*Vegan

OUR FAVORITE cereal EVER!
*Vegan

Yummy Organic ceral.
*Vegan

Micah's FAVORITE desserts:
*Both are Vegan



Alright, here is my Recipe for Vegan Shepherd's pie!:


1 bag of Morning Star Crumbles
At least a 1 lb. Bag OR 1 box of instant potatoes. (Make about 10 servings)
2 cans of Mushroom gravy (I buy Western Family brand)
2 cans green beans And/Or 2 cans Corn
1 can sliced carrots

Pre-heat oven to 425*
Make your mashed potatoes as instructed on box (again about 10 servings)
Cook your crumbles on stove top until soft (About 10 minutes) on medium heat
Bring gravy to a boil, stir well
In a large bowl, mix together crumbles, gravy & corn/beans
Using a large Casserol dish, out mixture of the above in
Smooth out, then add potatoes on the top layer, smooth these as well

Bake for 35 minutes, or until mashed potatoes are a little light brown on the edges

Cool for about 10 minutes & ENJOY!!!
**You can serve this meal with french bread or biscuits.
Serves about 6. (We always have left-overs!)


Thank you SO much for reading. Please comment and let me know what you think! Also, let me know If you try any and let me know what YOU thought of them! :)

Much love, Marci

5 comments:

  1. Good job! One reason we haven't kept buying a lot of this stuff is because of the cost. But you gave some great bargain options, so thanks! I'll have to try that recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be expensive for sure! I really, really try NOT to shop at Walmart, but for some things It can be quite a bit cheaper. Those Boca chik'ns are $4.00 a box at Harmon's... And 2.75 a box at Walmart! Along with all of the Morning Star brand, it's way cheaper there. Everything else I buy at Harmon's. You're so welcome! Let me know what you think of the recipe. :) BTW, finding the mushroom gravy can be hard, but check Harmon's that's where I usually get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'll post whenever I find them, but I get coupons for morning star, and Chungs a lot.
    I love your new blog set up I could never load the site to post comments before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good Bama! Yeah please do, I would love some! We buy them so much. Glad it's working now!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been a vegetarian for years and find it really easy. My late husband was a vegetarian, so when I was with him, I was practically one by default. I ended up becoming a full vegetarian about a year and a half after he passed. I started to realize that I felt healthier when I was eating a vegetarian diet. Then, I began reading about factory farming and health concerns regarding chemicals and hormones in meat, which made the decision easy.

    There are so many options to choose from. And nowadays, many recipes can be vegetarian-ized. I make a mean vegetarian meatball sandwich (If I do say so myself: ) If you want the recipe, just holla.

    Also, I know cost is a concern for people, but Mambo Sprouts is a great resource for coupons and recipes. http://www.mambosprouts.com/

    Also, Whole Foods is pricey sometimes, but watch for sales. They also have coupons online that you can print. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/coupons/

    When you stack store coupons with manufacturer coupons, you can save a ton. Its easy and good for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all of your comments! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random.Org for Giveaways

Blog content copyright

Please do not take any posts, pictures etc. from my blog without permission. If you are interested in borrowing a picture or some information from a post, please contact me first. I probably won't mind giving you permission! I put a lot of time and effort into my blog, so please don't take anything without asking. I am the sole owner of this blog, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thank you very much!