Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Meatless Monday, Asian style

Tofu lettuce wraps

As we are a Vegetarian/Vegan Family, I am always looking for new, yummy recipes to try out. This was my first time making these delicious lettuce wraps, and boy were they SO good and healthy. Plus, my kids loved them which made it even better!

Ingredients:
  • Cooked rice (amount and type is up to you,but we suggest around 4 servings)
  • 1 Head of Ice berg lettuce
  • 1 pound extra firm tofu, sometimes we even do 1 1/2 pounds if we have the extra tofu (drained)

  • 2 3/4 cups chopped mushrooms (your choice,but preferably shitake, it gives the dish a little more kick)
  • 1 yellow OR white onion
  • 4 cloves chopped garlic (fresh)
  • 2-3 thinly sliced carrots (or graded)
  • Soy sauce or Bragg's sauce with amino acids (available @ Whole Foods)
  • salt & pepper
  • Optional: House of Tsang stir fry sauce to put on the top for some extra flavor.
Directions:
  • Wash your head of lettuce.
  • Chop your the tofu into tiny squares.
  • In a large pan, put in 1-2 tbsp of olive or vegetable oil and turn on medium heat, put in minced garlic and diced onion, sautee for about 3 minutes.
  • (At this time you can also start cooking the rice. Follow the brand/package directions for the amount of rice you are wanting.)
Along with the tofu, go ahead and put in your mushrooms, carrots, and zucchini saute until tender. While cooking the veggies, keep adding a little Bragg's or soy sauce (or tiny bits of water, appx 1 tsp.) to the pan, and cook for about 15 minutes.
Serve on top of the lettuce pieces, along with the rice as a side and House of Tsang sauce as a topping for some extra flavor (optional)
Enjoy!

Here are some photos of our lettuce wraps we made:

Yummy!

All ready for dinner.
(The other thing we had for a side were vegetarian pot stickers)

Finished product!

Levee loved this dinner :)

Hope you try it out, let me know if you do and how it turned out for you! It is a fairly easy and very healthy recipe to make which is a plus.
Enjoy!

Coming up soon!
  • Amazing vegan pumpkin pie
  • Vegetarian tortilla chip soup
  • Vegan caramel apples


18 comments:

  1. Looks delish! I had to laugh when I saw u write wash the lettuce. I hate whenever people think you don't have to wash-ughh! gross :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vic, seriously! So gross! That's a must for sure :) Glad I made you giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lace, me too! I haven't had them is so long! It was SO good. Thanks for stopping by :) Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen, thank for for following my blog! I am now following yours too. Your kids are so cute! Beautiful Family :) Looking forward to reading more of your blog.

    Have a great week!~
    -Marci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following you back! :) This looks SO yummy! I will definitely be back to check out your blog. I've been thinking about making the switch back to a vegetarian diet for awhile now. I didn't make it last time because I didn't know how to cook!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy! Thanks for following...I am following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello fellow vego blogging mummy! I can't wait to see those other recipes... Followed for you, come visit me @ http://louandjane.blogspot.com/ Jane:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Love lives here, thank you so much for following me back! I hope I can be an inspiration to help you make the change back! Baby steps :) Looking forward to seeing you around! And reading more of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jenny, It is way yummy! You are very welcome, and THANK YOU for following me back friend.
    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jane and Lou, welcome! Glad to see another Veggie Mamma! I will get those recipes up SOON! They are amazing, seriously. I will be coming to visit your blog in just a sec! Thank you for following, have a wonderful night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Following your blog from Catch a Wave Wednesday. I admire anyone who can commit to the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. I'm about as far from it as possible but this recipe really looks good. I hope you check out my blog at http://hartofstonecrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds and looks great! I am the only vegetarian in my family, and I think it is pretty cool that you are all vegetarians. If you have not read it already, I'm giving away 2 copies of Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer at my blog, and there are only few entries.

    I would also like to invite you to The Wednesday Window . It is the place to feature your favorite blog post of the past week or so, for more details check out Frugality Is Free.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Hart of Stone, Following you back! Lovely blog :) And thank you! You could put chicken/beef in it too if you wanted :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Frugal Mom, that's awesome that you are a vegetarian! Everyone but me is Vegan, including my 2 kiddos. They both have a bad dairy allergy. I'll come over to your blog and enter! Thanks for letting me know about that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm!! These look so delicious!
    I've never had lettuce wraps before, but I've definitely been wanting to try them! I guess I'm a recently non-vegetarian, but I really ought to go back to losing the meat again! Thanks for the motivation!

    http://yourworkistodiscoveryourworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. I have never been a big tofu fan, but it looks amazing. Good job Chicka!

    Halz

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all of your comments! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random.Org for Giveaways

Blog content copyright

Please do not take any posts, pictures etc. from my blog without permission. If you are interested in borrowing a picture or some information from a post, please contact me first. I probably won't mind giving you permission! I put a lot of time and effort into my blog, so please don't take anything without asking. I am the sole owner of this blog, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thank you very much!