Friday, October 8, 2010

A moment of beautiful clarity.

Today, I had a moment. A moment of clarity that to me, felt like the world stopped for a minute, just for me. 
To some, this may not be a big deal but when you have wanted something for as long as you can remember, and you finally have it in your grasp, it is A-Mazing. I have wanted to be a Nurse since I can remember. I knew that along with being a mother, this is what I was meant to do. I am a caring, loving, people person. I love helping people and making them smile. Great qualities to have to be a Mom and a Nurse!
I had my very first official Nursing class Wednesday evening: Introduction to Nursing. To begin class, she read a story out of "Chicken soup for the Nurse's soul" By Emily Dickinson. It was such an amazing, inspiring story to me, and honestly it took everything I had in me not to cry from having so many feelings of happiness just from being in that moment. 
Let's just say, the book is now on my list of "wants." Of course, right after she read the story (Mind you I am on the front row as I am in all of my classes) It was now time to stand up, introduce yourself and tell the class about your medical experience. I was the second person to go. Bad timing! I was still emotional, I felt like such a sap. I wanted to say, "Ummm, could you please skip me just this once, so I don't start crying and make myself look like a complete ass from all of these feelings of happiness I am having?" But, I proudly stood up, introduced myself, talked about my Family of course and discussed my Medical experience of being a Medical assistant for 6 years and getting my CNA. I made it through without crying. (Yay!) That would have been slightly embarassing. I often wonder to myself, am I the only one who feels THIS excited to be here? I can't be... I guess others can hold their enthusiasm in better than I can :) 

Today, I had to make a run to the school to pick up my Nursing books, and that is when It happened. 
I picked them up from the front desk and came back out to my car. Sat there for a minute staring at them in my handsm and cried. I was filled with such happiness to have the opportunity to be where I am at today. A Nursing student. I honestly never thought I would finally be here in this moment. Holding these text books that are going to become my best friends over the next couple of years. If anyone was in the car next to me, they may have thought I was a little crazy. I mean, who gets that excited over a Nursing text book? {I do.} And I am proud to say it. Words cannot express my love for Nursing school. I am loving every minute. Well, almost every minute. Calculus and I don't get along very well, but were making it through.
I have already started reading the first chapter of my "Nursing Today" Text book and love it. I can't wait to get back to class next week. I am so, so happy to be here. This is just awesome! 

It is taking a lot of sacrifice making it through though, that part has been rough. I miss my kiddos every single night I am away from them. Wishing I could be home tucking them into bed, reading Levee his bedtime stories and snuggling with little Brighton. I miss it more than they will ever know. But this will be over before I can blink my eyes, and I WILL miss school. I am whole heatedly enjoying this journey. 
Source: Cafepress.com
“I attribute my success to this - I never gave or took any excuse.”
-Florence Nightingale

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are able to chase your dreams. :) So many people take education for granted, like it's just another requirement of life and are not thankful for having the opportunity to get an education. I love your attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Marci! You're going to be such an amazing nurse. You're such a good mom to sacrifice like this. Take it from a kid that had a mom go through Nursing School-you're kids will thank you later...actually I think I thank my Mom right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There needs to be more attitudes and people like you in the medical field!! And yes, I agree with what Lace said, you are doing your kids a favor! You are going to make your whole family's life better!

    Way to go, and you should be sapping up all the excitement you can muster and reveling in at as long as you possibly can!

    We are all proud and rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! What an amazing accomplishment to even get to that point while raising a family. I know that when you want something for so long it can be unbelievable once you get there. Sometimes when we want something it isn't as good as we imagined once it is achieved. But some of the greatest dreams truly are so much better than one could have ever hoped. So inspiring to read your post. Looking forward to reading more about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. new follower from meet me monday

    http://www.bassgiraffe.com/2010/10/soy-delites-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is not the paycheck, although it pays the bills, that gives great satisfaction. it is a job that you truly enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you have found your passion. What a blessing to be able to make it such a big part of your life. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will make a wonderful nurse to all of your patients because you know it is where you were meant to be!

    Hope you've had a wonderful and fun SITS day...

    (The Lucky Wife via The Chef)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your passion for what you are doing! It is very encouraging and inspiring. Visiting from SITS a bit late!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all of your comments! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random.Org for Giveaways

Blog content copyright

Please do not take any posts, pictures etc. from my blog without permission. If you are interested in borrowing a picture or some information from a post, please contact me first. I probably won't mind giving you permission! I put a lot of time and effort into my blog, so please don't take anything without asking. I am the sole owner of this blog, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thank you very much!