Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A sneak peek at my Bloggy-Boot camp experience

As many of you may know I attended the SITS Bloggy Boot Camp this past weekend down in beautiful St. George, Utah. I went to the conference with my good friend Megan and her Sister, Hayley. It was such a blast! I learned so much, I can't wait to tell you all about it.

Me, Tiffany Romero, Megan & Hayley
Our adventure began by leaving Orem around 4:00 hoping to make it to the big dinner some of the local bloggers had planned. Due to a last minute, quick lengthy visit to Walmart for some travel items, we were running just a little late. The drive down was great though! We caught up on some talking, had some good laughs due to me falling for thinking the back of a Uhaul truck was really open.. {Yes you, too can laugh at me now. I would if I were you.}When really it was just a picture. Wow. We finally arrived at The Pasta Factory at 7:45, only a little over an hour late! We got to exchange our gifts that we had brought which were filled with gifts that "described" our blog. Mine included Oreo cookies {Vegan} Bandaids {Nursing school} A Christmas hand towel {I heart Christmas} and a couple of other items. I ended up with Kelly from Everydaychildhood.com's gift and she ended up with mine! Her gift included my favorite candy, Reese's, a picture frame, a sewing kit, and a recipe book.
After we met there with the other Bloggers, we decided to go and get some dinner. We ended up going to this great Mexican restaurant, it was actually the best food I have had in a long time! We ran into some of the other bloggers there, chatted a while over some drinks then headed to Dairy queen for a treat, then to our motel. Since we had to get up early the next day, we stayed in for the night and talked until about 4 am. Got up the next morning, stopped for a coffee and we were finally there! We have been looking forward to this for months!
This event was everything I had imagined it to be!
We were put into assigned table seating to help encourage mingling and to promote networking, we all exchanged our business cards at each table we sat at. {Great idea!} After each speaker, we were moved to a different table, with different women. The morning opened up with Blogging and Twitter etiquette. What a great way to start! We were all pumped and ready for some great advice. One of our first speakers was Stephanie from The Daily Blarg. She was too funny, had us all laughing and feeling right at home. It was wonderful!

 One of my favorite speakers that attended the conference was Miri Leigh. I was in awe during her whole speech. She was so inspiring and beyond amazing, one of the most wonderful, real women I have ever met. Lucky for me, I was in one of the front tables during her speech! And I just happen to have the opportunity to sit by her when the morning first began. The whole audience was in awe of her story that she shared with us, about how she got to be where she is today. Head over to her blog and read more about her and her story.


The main point I took away from her speech was, "What do I want to do with my life ultimately, and how can my blog help me achieve it?" I never thought about my blog in that sense. In the sense that it CAN take me places, and help me achieve even more than I thought possible. I left with a million times more inspiration than I had coming in! 



Lesson's taken from part I of my Bloggy Boot camp experience and some advice:

*DO bring business cards with you to a blogging conference! Make sure to have your Blogs name, URL, your name, Twitter ID, Facebook fan page link and anything else you want included. They don't have to be expensive either, I got mine for $9.99 from Vistaprint +Shipping. They are definitely a must for any type of Blogging conference!
*Make sure to have a pen and paper handy with you {If not, you may have to end up asking the lady next to you for a pen, then being slightly star stuck when you realize she is Miri Leigh..}
*Don't be nervous! Relax, make new friends and have fun!
*Having blogging awards on your blog isn't a good thing. Who would have known? 
*The cost of the ticket is definitely worth it! Check SITS website for up-coming Bloggy Bootcamps in your area. If you can, try and make it to one of their conferences. 
*If you're like me, you will want to have your camera to take pictures! 

Part II coming this week! I am looking forward to sharing more valuble information with you and more of my great weekend down in St. George!



12 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! I almost needed to pull over I was laughing so hard at the U-haul truck mistake! Who knew that was just the prelude to a weekend FULL of laughs! I had such a good time, I can't wait until our next road trip (blogging conference or not, although a conference would be the cherry on top!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for join my blog hop,
    I'm following you.
    Nan
    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so nice to have met you! And now we have "The Twitter" to keep us together. I love reading about all the fun everyone had at Bloggy Boot Camp. It really is one of my most favorite conferences to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why isn't posting awards a good thing? I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've actually had to look twice at that silly U-haul too...

    Boot Camp was awesome - glad you got some good Mexican food (Cafe Rio?) to give you energy for the next day - I was EXHAUSTED after karaoke :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post! I had my camera but was just sitting there trying to soak it all in and say hi to people and forgot to take any pictures! Thanks for coming up to say hi! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your so on top of things to already have your bloggy bootcamp post up! it was so neat! So nice to meat you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great post- your road trip sounds as entertaining as mine was... less the gross hotel room...

    I am so glad you cam and enjoyed it- I loved meeting you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for reading everybody! I will be getting part II up hopefully by the end of the week.

    SITS girls, can I just say how privileged I feel that you commented on this?! Awesome! Thank you, and it was great meeting all of you ladies too. Hope you will come back to Utah again, SLC next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miri was such an awesome speaker. I was a bit star struck when I realized I was sitting by her too! I'm so glad you had such a great time. It was nice meeting you in person. And congratulations on buying your own domain!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all of your comments! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random.Org for Giveaways

Blog content copyright

Please do not take any posts, pictures etc. from my blog without permission. If you are interested in borrowing a picture or some information from a post, please contact me first. I probably won't mind giving you permission! I put a lot of time and effort into my blog, so please don't take anything without asking. I am the sole owner of this blog, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thank you very much!