Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bloggy Boot camp-Part II

As many of you know I recently had a great Fabulous mini-vacation and attended Sits Girls Bloggy Boot camp down in St. george. {You can read part I here}


I Absolutely Loved it! I learned so much more than I was ever expecting to. I took a lot of notes while I was at the conference to share with you.
Some may or not agree about some of the info and advice that was provided, but I found it very helpful! As I had mentioned in my first post, one of my favorite speakers was Miri Leigh. She asked us all to answer one question: "Why do I blog?" As bloggers, I think this is a good question to ponder. 

So ask yourself :

"Why do I blog?" 
*Is it for fun, archival purposes for your family, personal development, for your community, money, or for a business? 
*What are you an expert on? What are you passionate about?
Find your niche and become an expert on it. If your blog is about more than one topic, you might want to think about narrowing it down to a couple of things you do really well. If someone asks you: "What is your blog about?" Can you answer it? And in a short version, not a story? We are all experts in something! You've got this.
And remember, 
*Your blog is a platform*

 A couple of really good tips that I feel are really important :

*Set a GOAL! You want your blog to be a reflection of you!  
*Be Real, be human and be humble. Just be yourself, your readers will love this! 
*Expose yourself and what is meaningful to you.
*Speak your natural voice, and ALWAYS, always be nice. They're are already enough rude people out there in the blogging world. Nobody likes mean comments, or mean people.
*Don't ever forget that these are real people who read your blog. Most of our blogging friendships are strictly through on-line contact only, we all know this, but please remember that they all have feelings too. 

Okay, so now a few do's and dont's when it comes to posts and your blog itself. I could go on this topic for many, many paragraphs but I just want to share with you as much as I can squeeze in tonight. Let's start with  post titles. Get to the point. Don't have it listed as some elaborate, crazy title. Get creative with your content, not the post titles. Keep those short and simple. 
Keep good content to keep your readers coming back! Our readers want to see "what happens next" and will keep reading until they are satisfied. Do your best to engage your audience!

Some fun ideas when it comes to post content :

*Tell a story in a child's perspective! This is a great idea for this time of year. 
*Do a weekly tutorial! This is a great idea to keep your readers coming back to check your blog weekly. Try and stick to the same day each week. 
Ever wondered what times are the best to post? 
The best time to post for more page views/Traffic is between 10 am-3 pm and 5-10 pm for comments.
Who knew? 

Okay, these next few are just my own personal opinions when it comes to blogging :

*Please do NOT blog as if you were texting someone. Example? 
Try not to use the phrases, "Lol" "Haha" etc. (I know, I have done this a few times in the past, but haven't in a while and will never again!)
*Use correct grammar and spelling
*Last for now... Remove your music player. Yes, really. Or at least set it up for your readers to push "play" themselves if they want to listen. I can't tell you how annoying it is to come across a blog while I am blogging late at night that has their loud music turn on automatically. I can't be the only one that thinks this! Right? 

Hope this information is helpful for you and your blog! I want to thank the Sits girls for hosting the Bloggy Boot Camp in St. George and all of the speakers, especially Tiffani Romero, for all of this valuable information.
Be sure to head over to the Sits Blog for some more great advice. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the speakers at the conference. 

 Hangin' With Ted Rubin from Open Sky! 

 Went out to dinner with a couple of amazing Bloggers. Ted, Courtney, Kelly and Jess. These guys were all so nice and sweet! Really looking forward to Blogher 2011 to see them again. 

 My crew was making fun of me for all of the bags I brought for a 2 day weekend.. Had to photograph the moment. 
Good times at the Ho Jo's In St. George! 



15 comments:

  1. This is a great re-cap post! I loved Miri Leigh! She was super inspirational.

    Did they say that about traffic times - or is that something you figured out??

    It was so great to meet you at BBC - wish I could have talked to you more, but I am enjoying reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really was! Yes, they did say that. I think it was Tiffany if I remember correctly :) It was so nice to meet you to! Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, memories.... :) This was such a fabulously fun, inspirational and educational weekend. Great people, great info, and who could for get the great cab driver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Thanks for sharing all the great tips! Who knew about the prime blogging times? I sure didn't. I'm hoping to go to a conference this coming year! BlogHer 11 is a two hour drive away for me, so I'm planning on going there!

    Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how fun!! I really want to go to the Seattle one next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent post, I am hoping to go this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. holy crap! you did pack for a week didn't you?

    SO fun, great to have a few reminders about what we learned, I need to type up the bullet points and paint them on my walls for when I get discouraged.

    of course, if I had time to be repainting my walls that would be a sure sign the discouragement had passed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with your personal opionions! I've tried to stop using LOL's and HAHA's all together! Especially smily faces! Also I agree about the music player too. SO ANNOYING!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl, I know, I had no idea either. But it has been great information to know! I am going to Blogher too! San Diego, August 2011.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lilac city Mama, I would LOVE to go to Seattle... Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. T, I know right ;) I wish It had been for a week! Great idea on typing them up as a reminder! I am feeling discouraged tonight too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lace, It is so true! I hate when I see that. Really! Glad you don't do them either haha. ;)

    Thank you, Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with the music player. I always make sure my speakers are on off when I am blog hopping. Thanks for sharing your great experiences and knowledge with us. I am very appreciative. I have been a nurse for 18 years and think it is the most fabulous career on the face of the earth. Best wishes to you. Jana www.adoctorandanurse.com

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all of your comments! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random.Org for Giveaways

Blog content copyright

Please do not take any posts, pictures etc. from my blog without permission. If you are interested in borrowing a picture or some information from a post, please contact me first. I probably won't mind giving you permission! I put a lot of time and effort into my blog, so please don't take anything without asking. I am the sole owner of this blog, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thank you very much!