Sunday, July 24, 2011

Smooth.. Or maybe not so much.

Woah... Life has taken a 360* degree turn in the last month. How does that even happen so fast? Jeez. Well, I've been hanging on by the seat of my pants and ready for a whole new adventure. As many of you may know, I was in Nursing school working on my AAS of Nursing. I was exactly half-way through.. Until 2 weeks ago. I left. I respectfully withdrew myself from the technical schools Nursing program and to date, it was the best decision I have made. You may be wondering why? Why the hell would someone walk away, half way through their Nursing program?

Many reasons. Many good, positive, right reasons. 

To start, I had a horrible last quarter. Horrible to say the least. My very last day of finals, I "failed" my Physiology final by 2 questions. The minimum grade you can get in any Nursing core class at this particular school is a 70%. If you get any less, you have to  (x) amount of tuition to retake the whole thing again along with getting held back 3 months. I just happen to get a 68%. I was half way through and this happened? I had an overall 80% grade in the class... I worked the hardest I have in my life last quarter, I was studying 25+ hours a week outside of class. Well, come to find out it was a Blessing in disguise. It brought to light what I really wanted to do with my degree, to achieve and to succeed at. I have always wanted, and dreamed about attending a respectful University.

If I were to stay at the private school I was at, ZERO of my credits would transfer to a regionally accredited University. I would have basically had to start over when I wanted to work towards my Bachelors, then eventually my masters. Awful, I know. I knew this going into the program, and initially I was fine with having an AAS in Nursing, but have since changed my mind.. For the better I hope! I want more opportunities in my field. I recently attended a NICU conference and had some nice talks with several Nurses that were there. I got some wonderful advice from many of them and took it to heart. Many have said that the outlook in the next 5-10 years is that hospitals may start requiring a Bachelors degree for RN's instead of an AAS in Nursing.  So I'm going for it! Taking a huge leap of faith and never looking back. It is hard to take in that the whole last years education is virtually worth nothing and that I have to repeat all of the classes, but I feel this is the right and best decision for my future as a Neonatal Nurse. I start classes in less than a month, starting off with 13 credits. I am so excited! Shouldn't be too hard to get a good GPA this quarter. Shooting for a 4.0. Wish me luck on all of this!

Source


Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Hi im a new follower from the blog hop
    you have a great blog i enjoyed reading it
    please come visit me anytime
    www.jolly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending you lots of positive vibes! I am sure it wasn't an easy decision but it looks like the right one for sure! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you absolutely made the right decision. You should have the option to build on your degree and further your education. One of my girlfriends earned her BS at a private university and found when she applied to a Masters program that her school did not have proper credentials. She was devastated! I am so glad you figured it out now. I am a new follower and stopping in from the Monday Hop! Please drop by http://aboutamom.com to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the changes in your career track. I think it's great that you know what you want and how to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. School plans can be so heartbreaking. I have had a horrible time with transcripts and transfers and whatnot with my nursing program and had to make some life changing decisions... I think you did a very smart thing by withdrawing and regrouping. I also opted to bite the bullet and get my BSN!! Good luck girl. I look forward to reading all about your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thats intense! Isn't it odd and crazy, and sometimes annoying as heck, how life works out. I'm so glad though that now you are the path you want to me and are 100% confident about it! I think that is awesome! And to be a NICU nurse, love it! You guys are angels ;)

    I'm catching up from my follows from the HOp Along Monday hop :) Can't wait to read more of your lovely blog!

    btw, your family is precious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much everyone for all of your support! It really means a lot. :) I will definitely be keeping you updated on how things are going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's huge! Hope it goes well!

    Enjoy your SITS DAY :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My best friend wants to be a NICU nurse so badly but she is stuck on a med-surge floor. Good luck with everything! I'm sure it will all work out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes as you make this change in your life. Those decisions can be so tough when your gut tells you something that doesn't make sense to others. Always trust your instincts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best of luck to you! My sister is getting her AAS right now -- I'll send her over to read this!

    Happy SITS Day! Your blog is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy SITS day! Hope it all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just don't know how you do it! (but praying that I can somehow manage Midwifery school with a husband and 5 kids next spring) Best wishes on the change! Wonderful blog :) Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Good luck at school. Stopping by a day late from SITS

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all of your comments! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random.Org for Giveaways

Blog content copyright

Please do not take any posts, pictures etc. from my blog without permission. If you are interested in borrowing a picture or some information from a post, please contact me first. I probably won't mind giving you permission! I put a lot of time and effort into my blog, so please don't take anything without asking. I am the sole owner of this blog, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thank you very much!