Saturday, August 27, 2011

Lemon Rice with seasonal vegetables

I am a sucker for rice...Well make that any carbs. Just love em. What can I say? It's probably why I have failed at loosing any weight in the last two months. My good friend Megan introduced me to this amazing recipe about a year ago, I lost it and just recently found it again. I LOVE it- not only for the fact that it is easy peasy, but because it is also healthy and really tasty!

Note: This dish is courtesy of Weight Watchers- I am not on Weight watchers, just love this recipe.

Lemon Rice with Seasonal Vegetables: 

Sorry, I'm not the best food photographer!

*This dish can be served on it's own OR as a side dish*

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes

What you'll need:

  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice, long grain is preferred
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 2 1/2 cups (or more) broccoli florets
  • 1-2 medium fresh carrots- peeled and sliced thin
  • 1 medium lemon- juice and zest
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp salt

Instructions:

1) Cook your rice according to the package instructions- Add your turmeric to the rice water.

2) While waiting for the rice to cook, heat a medium saucepan filled with 2/3 cup water to boiling point, add broccoli and carrots and let them cook for appx. 5 minutes (or you can let them steam in the microwave, whichever you prefer.) Drain the water out of the veggies and add back to the pan. 

3) Add your rice to the vegetables. Stir in the lemon and zest; heat thoroughly over low heat. 

4) Season to perfection with salt and pepper; serve! 

*For a variation, you can substitute shredded cabbage for the broccoli and a turnip could replace the carrot. 

*This recipe is vegan

Enjoy!

Don't forget to enter in the SeamsMod giveaway if you haven't already! 

Win a $20 store credit to SeamsMod!
Ends August 31st at 11:59 pm


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious. I'm also a sucker for carbs. Everytime I think about getting rid of them, all I can think about it pancakes, and waffles, and French bread. Yeah, I'm not going to lose any weight any time soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all of your comments! Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Random.Org for Giveaways

Blog content copyright

Please do not take any posts, pictures etc. from my blog without permission. If you are interested in borrowing a picture or some information from a post, please contact me first. I probably won't mind giving you permission! I put a lot of time and effort into my blog, so please don't take anything without asking. I am the sole owner of this blog, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Thank you very much!